Here are some of the ways that the HOGE family is interwoven in my family:
1. My 2Great Grandfather Bruce, Joshua Henderson Bruce (1825-1904) married a Margaret Anderson HOGE (1825-1870). They are pictured above.
2. Margaret Anderson Hoge's parents were: Daniel Hoge (1785-1837) and Nancy Ann Stafford (1783-1853)
3. Besides their daughter, Margaret Anderson Hoge, there were two sisters in that family who connected with my family. One was their daughter, Susan M. Hoge (1820-1853). Susan married a son of my 4 Great Grandfather Bruce (Rev. Joshua Bruce --1778-1865) named Harvey Chesney Bruce (1818-1891).
4. Another daughter was Sarah Hoge (1811-1891). Sarah married John Carr (1798-1874). John's father was John Kerr Carr (1755-1835). John Kerr Carr was my 3 Great Grandfather Carr.
5. My 2Great Uncle Robert Henderson Bruce--pictured above (1883-??) married a Mary Lelia HOGE in 1909. Mary's father was John Milton Hoge (1844-1913). Her grandfather was James Hoge (1807-1885). And her great grandfather was Daniel Hoge, the father of Margaret Anderson Hoge, who was the Grandmother of Mary Lelia's husband, Robert Henderson Bruce. Bet you didn't get all of that!!! In short, my 2Great Uncle Robert Henderson Bruce married his grandmother's brother's son's daughter!!! OR--he married his Great Uncle's granddaughter. I am sure you have it now!!!!!! ha ha (Or maybe--you have quit reading this by now!!!!)
As I said in last week's blog post, when working on Genealogy, it is all about NAMES. People today don't seem to name their children after family members --like they used to do. Today's generation may be harder to follow than year's ago.. On the other hand though, today's generations have many more technical ways of keeping information. SO--maybe in the year 2500---- finding out about your relatives may just be easier due to all of the ways to communicate these days. We won't be here to see how they remember us--although I'd love to see them working on Genealogy in 2500!!!!
BUT--for me right now, trying to find info on my ancestors leads me to research lots of different names… The bad thing about names is finding too many of the SAME common names --over and over like getting one John mixed up with another person with the same name… However, the good thing about names is finding those unusual names, like HOGE or DUDLEY or BLAND, which connect some families…
I mention all of these names and dates in my blog in hopes of meeting more people who are interested in the same people I am.. We learn so much from each other. AND--due to my blogging, I have met several distant cousins. Isn't that just super?????
Thanks again for hanging in with me on these Genealogy blogs. Like I said, it is a passion of mine --but I'm sure that talking about it to others can get pretty boring… I said something to George about the "grandmother's brother's son's daughter"---George said, "Huh?????" ha ha
Have a great day --and take some time to learn more about your ancestors. I'll close with a funny one for you.