Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Rich Mountain Drive


After visiting the Methodist Church in Cades Cove last Thursday, we drove somewhere we have never been before. We drove across Rich Mountain on a one-way gravel road.... It was FANTASTIC---and we had a great day. Here are some pictures taken as we went over that mountain... Above is the sign telling about the road. Below are more!





Here's what the road ahead of us looked like for the most part. I'm glad it was one-way --so that we didn't have to worry about traffic going the other direction. The road was in fair shape --with some big ruts in places that Mrs. P (and George) did a great job of missing!!! Overall, it was fun being 'way back' in the mountains!!!!




We stopped at an overlook so that we could see Cades Cove. Enlarge this picture and you will see the Methodist Church that I talked about in yesterday's post... Click HERE if you missed that post.





This picture is looking toward the right ---from that overlook. Cades Cove is a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains.




This picture was taken looking toward the left. You can see the gorgeous Smoky Mountains --and some of Cades Cove.




On farther up the mountain, we found another small overlook. We need to go back when the leaves are off of the trees to get better pictures of the cove from this spot. George had to climb up a bank above the road to get this picture.

There wasn't much Fall color yet in the mountains, but you can see some color on the dogwood tree toward the right side of this picture.




Finally, we made it to the other side.. This picture was taken on the Tuckaleechee side of Townsend, TN. In the 1820's, when there were no schools in Cades Cove, the children from the 'cove' were transported across that mountain to attend school in Tuckaleechee Cove. Since it was a rugged trip across the mountain, the children were boarded at the school there.

Pictured above is Rich Mountain --which we had just crossed!!!!




We love our geo-tracker--- because it not only keeps track of where we take our pictures. It also tracks our entire trip!!!! Enlarge the map above and you can see where we went last Thursday. We went the same way both coming and going until we got to Townsend. We took the road to the left around and into Cades Cove. Then we turned right, to go over Rich Mountain.

Once we got to the bottom of the other side of Rich Mountain, we got lost. We went the wrong way TWICE --trying to get back out to the highway. Our GPS (which could have helped tremendously) wasn't with us that day (due to a recall), and the roads were not marked. SO--we just took a couple of side trips --the WRONG WAY....

On the map above, you can see where we turned right and sorta went around in a circle once, and then went to the end of another road before turning around and trying again. Finally, we went LEFT and then had no trouble getting back out to the highway... It was a fun side trip though... George did his blog yesterday on this and published a close-up map of our Townsend adventure as we tried to get out of that area without our GPS!!!! Click HERE to read what he said about this adventure!!!!

I have one more set of Rich Mountain pictures which I will share with you soon.

Have a wonderful Tuesday.
Hugs,

50 comments:

Sciarada said...

Buongiorno Betsy, through your wonderful photos I had the feeling of being there with you to enjoy this amazing natural spectacle!

Neal said...

We've drove that a few times. I really like roads like that. There's another road you should try. You go towards NC and turn to the left after you've left the park (I believe...wish I had a map). Balsalm?? Mountain sticks in my mind but I'm not sure. You travel a one way gravel road to come back into the park...it's neat also.

MadSnapper said...

you could not find a more beautiful place to get lost with out GPS in. i like that gravel road and would love to ride along it. seems strange to have a one way road in the mountains, i don't think i have ever seen one. only busy city streets with lots of traffic. i love the name Tuckaleechee

RoeH said...

I've heard the old saying that short cuts are the longest way to go but the most satisfying in beauty. Or something like that. I love the trip. I only wish I could have been a little shadow with you.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I stayed at Townsend once, and thought it was a great place to revisit. It's just a few miles from an entrance to the Smoke Mountain Nat. Park right?

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That simple mountain road looks like a fantastic path to adventure.The scenery is so rich and vibrant. Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

The photo with the little church in the center is especially sweet! I know the leaves will be colorful in a few weeks, but I bet it was nice to be able to enjoy the scenery without the crowds.

diane b said...

Those mountains are beautiful and what a fun trip you had, getting lost adds to the fun sometimes. What is a geo tracker?

Anonymous said...

Love the mountains! I would love to make a return trip to Tennessee one day.

Kate Spears said...

betsy...i just found your blog and it's wonderful! i'm an east tn blogger also! hope you are enjoying our gorgeous weather! xoxo

Joe Todd said...

The last gravel road I was on was kind of a washboard and very hilly.Had to go very slow.. Great adventure

Small City Scenes said...

Excellent pictures, Betsy. I love roadtripping and gpong on adventures. MB

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I love that sign!

It seems it means... "No Timid Drivers!"

,-))))

KathyA said...

Gorgeous! I can only imagine what this area looks like in full fall color! And talk about the proverbial little church in the glade!!

Dorothy said...

Now, you have me itching to get back up there! Great post and pictures. I think Rich Mountain is a place we haven't explored. The one way road would be nice. I hate meeting a vehicle, especially a big RV, on the road to Cataloochee Valley!

Catherine said...

You've sure seen some beautiful scenery Betsy!
xo Catherine

Dar said...

Hello Betsy...you sure have the location, location, location, for some gorgeous adventures. I am so envious of the mountain views. You are blessed....lets see if you get this message...my p/c is still goofing off.
BlessYourHearts

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, Outstanding pictures and information on that one-way gravel road! I sure do want to go there next spring or summer! Beautiful countryside. Thanks for showing us the highlights! Have a fun and excitingly good day today!

Tabor said...

That must have been one nail biter of at trip! I was on a narrow road like that last summer, but it was NOT one way. Egad.

Unknown said...

Beautiful scenery. Can't wait to see your next post!

NCmountainwoman said...

Such a beautiful area.

Sunny said...

Lovely scenery. The mountains remind me of an ocean of green waves.
I can relate to getting lost...I have NO sense of direction, LOL!
☼ Sunny

I Am Woody said...

Sometimes those 'lost' times make for the best discoveries! Glad you enjoyed Rich Mtn Road. It is glorious in the fall!!

Anonymous said...

Betsy, these photos are beautiful!!!

I was confused with what I wanted to believe for awhile as far as faith was concerned, but know I truly know what I am, and that's . . . a Buddhist.

Hope you will still leave your kind words, this really means a lot to me!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What beautiful photos...looks like a very relaxing drive!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Gads!! I'm shaking in my boots (bedroom slippers) and I bet Sandra is, too! Just reading that sign makes me feel faint and need to run for the smelling salts! At least the road wasn't two way!!!! You two are definately the Evel Kenivels of the senior world! Now I'm signing off before I get lightheaded from the heights.

Kirigalpoththa said...

Lovely road and beautiful beautiful sceneries. wow!!!

Debbie Taillieu said...

Such beautiful country side, Betsy! I bet it is fantastic in the fall!
Now I'm going to go read your other post that I missed....things have been a little crazy here with doctors and all.

Have a fabulous day!!

Cheryl said...

I thoroughly enjoyed riding along with you both. What fun to take the primitive (loved the term!) road and have fun in doing so. Beautiful country.

SquirrelQueen said...

The views from your drive are so beautiful. While I don't remember the name of the road I'm sure I have been through there, my dad always liked the back roads. I love all the green of your mountains.

Diane said...

I've heard of one way streets - we even have a couple here, but I never knew of a one way road. Some of our mountain roads are quite treacherous if you meet someone but it usually works out. Diane

Diane said...

I've heard of one way streets - we even have a couple here, but I never knew of a one way road. Some of our mountain roads are quite treacherous if you meet someone but it usually works out. Diane

Diane said...

I've heard of one way streets - we even have a couple here, but I never knew of a one way road. Some of our mountain roads are quite treacherous if you meet someone but it usually works out. Diane

amelia said...

Lovely pictures as always and it looks as if you had a lot of fun getting lost!! I'm always getting lost and would love a GPS but no luck as yet. Maybe one day!
We live a a dirt road so I know all about bad driving conditions. We often four wheel drive in the middle of summer because the washboard effect is so bad and it's worse than hydroplaning!!!

imac said...

Natures wonders here Betsy.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I absolutely loved these photos Betsy...I felt like I was exploring with the two of you!!! Gorgeous and breathtaking!!! Gotta run over to Georges blog and see his map!!!

Bill said...

What great-looking scenery you have there. I am impressed with your geo-tracker.

ruthinian said...

Cades Cove is a wonderful place. It looks so peaceful and a nice place to live in. I love the composition of your dirt road photo. the curving road gave a dramatic effect on the whole picture.

can't wait for the next post.

Unknown said...

wow!!!! that is beautiful. thanks for sharing.

Fred Alton said...

SPLENDID photos of the kind of adventure I love! The road reminds me a little of the road over the Towee mountain - but Towee's traffice is two-way. It scares my Frances but she braves it occasionally. ☺

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Do you know how long the 12 miles took you? A mile always seems like a hundred when you're on thoses kinds of roads! Beautiful pics, especially looking down into Cades Cove! Nice post!!

Carol said...

Didn't know there were one way dirt roads. LOL
We've taken some neat side trips because of our GPS..sometimes the shortest distance isn't always the fastest...but we ususally enjoy it.

From the Kitchen said...

Oh sob! I want to go home. Home to those mountains!! I'll just have to keep trekking along with you and George (lost or not) until I can get back.

Thanks for the memories!

Best,
Bonnie

Connie said...

Great pictures, Betsy! I love getting to travel along with you and George. Thanks for sharing these.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Cades Cove looks so far away from that mountainvantage point. Gravel roads are so rustic. We drove a few in Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks.

Betsy does your cell phone have a GPS app on it? That saved the day for me when my car GPS conked out on me once!

I rememeber first coming to your blog when you had spectacular fall folliage photos on it -- I can't wait to see more this year!

♥ Pat

Rose said...

Oh, Betsy, I wish we had been following you on this trip. Even the adventures without Mrs. Barbeck would have been fun.

Mary said...

What would we do without our GPS to keep us from getting lost. I shudder to think about that any more :-) Wonderful views and I like that it is one way and you don't have to worry about meeting traffic.

Pat Tillett said...

Wow!
What a great little trip! As always, thanks for the photo tour Betsy!

Janie said...

Wow, this is another beautiful area. Interesting to see the GPS route. We download the GPS routes from our ride. It's always fun to see the map version of exactly where we have been.

JDS said...

I am way past the date that you published this post, but I have to leave this comment. About that fist picture you have looking down into Cades Cove, showing the Methodist church...I have a picture of my wife taken from that same spot on our first anniversary, with her looking to the sky and smiling with her arms flung wide. Is there anything better than Smoky Mountain memories?